Beach Wheelchairs Now Available
The Oregon Coast has long been known for its public beaches, but Cannon Beach has taken accessibility to the next level by initiating a program making beach wheelchairs available for visitors with mobility challenges. The Haystack Rock Awareness Program will facilitate the free check out and return process for the wheelchairs from the Cannon Beach City Hall building.
This program is a cooperative effort between the Cannon Beach Chamber of Commerce, Haystack Rock Awareness Program and City of Cannon Beach that was made possible by donations from several locals interested in accessibility for all to local natural areas. Additional donations have recently made it possible to order a second chair and contributions are currently being accepted to not only fund future chairs, but to also obtain self-checkout lockers and interchangeable cushioning to make the chairs an option for children. Anyone interested in donating may contact the Haystack Rock Awareness Program at (503) 436-8060 or the Cannon Beach Chamber of Commerce at (503) 436-2623.
A goal of the beach wheelchair program is to ensure that all kids can participate in educational opportunities presented by the Haystack Rock Awareness Program. Pooka Rice, Outreach Coordinator with HRAP says the area around Haystack Rock where their programs are offered “is a classroom unlike any other and yet there is a section of our population we see perpetually excluded.” The wheelchair program “will simultaneously address the needs of our aging community as well as the school students who have historically been left out of the experience of participation in field trips to Haystack Rock.”
- There are two beach wheelchairs available upon request. Please provide at least five days advanced notice by calling Bahama Boards at 503-436-4317
- Every attempt will be made to accommodate day-of requests; however, no guarantees can be made that the staff or chair itself will be available.
- If the wheelchair has not been reserved for a day it will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Hours of use are 10am to 6pm Tuesday Through Sunday
- Checkout location is at Bahama Boards 1088 S. Hemlock St
- Wheelchair access to the beach is via Gower Street just past the public restrooms
- In the event of extreme weather warnings, the wheelchairs will not be available to checkout.